10 Rabi us Sani 1425

A religious leader was killed in the morning here in Karachi. The news channels are reporting widespread rioting from different parts of Karachi. People returning home from different parts of the city are telling about further rioting, arson and violence. All kinds of rumours were flying about and spreading like wild fire.

I have just come back from the road infront of our house. On one side there was a mob that was chanting slogans, burning tyres in the middle of the road and throwing stones at any car that passed by. On the other side of the road we were stopping cars from going ahead so they dont get pelted with stones.

I was there. I saw it all. Burning tyres. Crowds chanting slogans. Pedestrians running away at every outbreak of stone pelting. Cars skidding to a stop and turning around. I don't think I can joke during this post. Even though I am trying.

One thing kept coming back to me. Again and again. The same old thing that I have heard so many times. "The city is burning". "Shehr jal raha hay". I just though it was something found in novels and movies. I never though I would ever feel this way.

Allah. What have we become. What are we becoming.

I sit here as my city burns. There can be no greater pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|