10 Zilhaj 1424

Ahhhhhh. Eid.

I am sure you must have read my hysterical post about the qurbani. I am relatively calm now.

Like every eid we went to the house of our oldest relatives. This year it was my mother's aunt and uncle. Like every eid we had Yakhni Pulao and an assortment of other things to eat. Kind of a traditional Eid lunch. The turn of hosting the Eid lunch has passed from one couple to another at least since our family migrated to Pakistan in 1948. But it is an interesting tradition. Specially the Yakhni Pulao. Ahhhhh food.

But there is one thing that I find disturbing. The meat that we have form the qurbani always has a strange smell. What we call heek in Urdu. Very seriously off putting. I have no idea why but it has a different taste as well. Hmmmm. Now I will try to move on to more appropriate and palatable topics.

Oh and last but not least - the conversations from hell. Due to eid people who vaguely know come over to meet. Then all the women start talking about clothes, colours, food, recipes and at times shoes. And all the men sit about uncomfortably. Without any idea what to talk about they keep quiet. That is what I did for at least two hours today. Horrible horrible thing to do. There was a time when I had a strong desire to start swinging from the fan. Then I shut myself up and killed the budding child inside me. Then the food tray came and we all paid a lot of attention to it. To cater for the lack of alternate amusements.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Eid.

A regular reminder that my Urdu blog is here. Where I have started to try to teach Urdu as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|